From Muenster, Germany:

My wife, age 60, has had diabetes Type 1 since age 15 and is on an insulin pump. What can I do when she throws up a meal after the bolus is already given and her stomach doesn't even accept liquid with glucose?

In a case like that, I would monitor very often following the vomiting and try to take small sips of liquids containing sugar. Also, when this occurs, put the pump in "suspend" mode until her sugars are stable.

How often does this happen? If frequently, see your doctor.

Additional comments from Dr. Lebinger:

She might also want to try putting cake decorating gel under her tongue. She may be less apt to vomit this.

Posted to Other Illnesses and Insulin Pumps