Question:

From Dublin, Ireland:

My six-year-old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes eight months ago. Over the previous eight months she had spots on her face mainly but also over all her body. At any time she may have had only four or five, each one was like a chicken pock and took maybe eight weeks to heal. Several months ago, when she had seven of these sores on her face I took her to our G.P. and he said they could be sugar spots. She was tested for diabetes then and it was negative. Four months later she was diagnosed with diabetes. My question is, are these spots a symptom of diabetes? I have never seen any reference to them. Also when she was four weeks old she contracted whooping cough, she had a lot of cyanotic attacks; during her worst one she stopped breathing her pulse and heartbeat stopped and she had to be intubated. Could the length of time involved have caused the beginning of the destruction of her beta cells?

Answer:

I don't think that the episode of whooping cough had any relationship to the development of diabetes. Without having seen your daughter's spots on her face, it is hard to know what they were from. No, spots on the face are not symptoms of diabetes. Although viral infections have been implicated in triggering the destruction of diabetes, no one as of yet has been able to accurately say which virus or viruses will trigger diabetes (if any) or how long it will take in a given individual. Most likely it takes months to years from the time of viral infection to frank diabetes if there is a definite cause and effect.