Question:

From Poland:

My baby has Type 1 diabetes. Is there a glucose meter that can be attached to my baby for full-time monitoring?

Answer:

For the time being, there is no continuous glucose sensor available on the market. Research has been in the works, however. MiniMed is currently conducting a study using a device which measures tissue glucose. Researchers are hoping to work the bugs out of similar devices which use infrared light, but at this writing it doesn't seem to be as near as we would like.

Blood glucose monitoring has been available since the late 1970s and more commonly in the early 1980s. Prior to this, urine glucose monitoring was the way to monitor diabetes at home. It was very difficult to assess whether a young child was hypoglycemic. Needless, to say, blood glucose monitoring has been a huge advance, although not the ideal yet.

LM

Posted to Research: Monitoring