Question:

From Oregon, USA:

My 13 year old daughter, diagnosed a little over a year ago, has had two seizures in the last three weeks. Her blood sugar level was so low at these times it doesn't even register on the meter. Last Monday at 3 A.M., I heard her going through a seizure. I was lucky to hear her at all. I called 911 [the emergency phone number] and she was hospitalized both times. My question is, if I had not heard her, would she just kept on seizing and with what outcome? What would you suggest I do, as I haven't been able to sleep since for more than minutes at a time?

Answer:

I hope your diabetes team have given you advice about this already. You should have Glucagon and know how to use it. Most important is that you discuss the circumstances of the hypos and make any necessary adjustments to your daughter's insulin and/or carbohydrate regimen.

If you hadn't found your daughter during the hypo then she would almost certainly have come out of it herself but it may have taken a lot longer. This is because the body produces glucagon and other hormones in response to a hypo which push the blood sugar up. Of course, avoidance is the best policy and so you must discuss all severe hypos with your team.