From California, USA:

I have a friend who had to quit her job because she had diabetes very badly. She must test herself every hour and she could be 150 or 450 at any moment. Not only is it had for her to concentrate, it's hard for her to convince the court system that she would love to work but simply can't. She went for a hearing and the court doctor asked how many hours a day she tested her urine! This is an expert? The judge said it was not her diabetes, as he saw it, but she was mentally unstable. Of course she is an intelligent person so the result showed she was stable there, the ruling wasn't in her favor and was denied social security. She and her husband can't afford that. As it is, he has to work two jobs to pay the rent.

I feel for her and her husband so badly, I thought maybe someone out there could help.

Whether this woman works or not, it sounds like she needs to consult with a diabetes team to get her diabetes under control. Most people do not have to test their blood sugar every hour, but even if they do have to do this, there are many jobs where this can be done. Unless she has other complications she hasn't told you about, it sounds like she needs some expert diabetes management advice.

Posted to Other Social Issues and Daily Care