Question:

From Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA:

I am 24 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for about 2 years. How often should I go to the doctor? It has been way over six months since I've seen a doctor.

Answer:

It's rather hard to answer your query without knowing a lot more about you. Most centers like to see new diabetics every three or four months after the initial intense education period. After that it depends on how well control is going, whether there are geographical problems in reaching the center and whether any special problems or impending life style changes are involved.

From your age I would judge that you are finished with college and perhaps planning to live away from the family home. So even if you have made a start in diabetes management with very good control as judged by A1c levels, you ought to be considering some form of intensive insulin therapy to ensure the best possible control plus the greatest flexibility in living for the ensuing years. You certainly ought to go back to your diabetes team soon maybe, not so much to see the doctor; but to check on techniques with the nurse educator and on diet with the nutritionist and you also should get to know them again and arrange communication, if you need it in the future via telephone or e-mail or fax.

DO'B