Question:

From America On-Line:

I am a diabetic who takes two oral medications to control my diabetes. Like those on insulin I need to use test strips to keep a close watch.

I am on Medicare but can not get these strips paid for because I am not insulin dependent. Can any one give me a good reason why Medicare will not pay us. It is just as important to keep good records even though not on insulin.

Is there some place that I could write Medicare for this answer?

Answer:

You'll be pleased to hear that your message has gotten through to Medicare. Their rules will be changing effective July 1, 1998, to allow people with diabetes (whether taking insulin or not) to pay for strips for blood sugar testing, other supplies, and diabetes education.

You can contact your Congressperson, or the American Diabetes Association, for details.

WWQ

Posted to Social Issues: Insurance/Costs