From California, USA:

Is there a link between juvenile diabetes and canker sores?

My eight year old, diagnosed two years ago, seems to have a recurring problem with canker sores. The latest bout was particularly painful and incapacitating. The sores were an inch long on one inside cheek, and appeared with a few other smaller ones in the lower, inside lip. I just wondered if canker sores are considered to be an autoimmune disorder.

Canker sores (medical term aphtous stomatitis) is probably an immune mediated disorder of the oral mucosa and has been described to be associated with celiac disease, Behcet's disease, Crohn's disease, all of them immune mediated diseases, as is Type 1 diabetes. However, canker prevalence in the general population has been reported as high as 20%, so it's not surprising to find it in anybody.