Question:

From Texas, USA:

Does nicotine stimulate insulin production?

Answer:

There is good evidence that nicotine (absorbed either by gum, by nasal spray or through smoking) increases the level of insulin in the blood and probably more importantly increases insulin resistance. The effect appears to be a relatively minor one and I could not find evidence that the incidence of Type 2 Diabetes could be related to the duration or intensity of cigarette smoking. This not, of course, to say that smoking is without effect on the circulatory complications of diabetes.

If you can get access to a nearby medical library you might like to read a report by Eliasson, B. et al, on 'Long-term use of nicotine gum is associated with hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance' in Circulation, 94(5):878-881,1996. I am sure that any librarian would help you track it down.

DO'B

Posted to Other Medications