From Iowa, USA:

My daughter is now four and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when she was two. Her A1c has always been in the range of 8.2 to 8.5. Our doctors tell me we have great control, though it doesn't feel like it. Is that really good? What is "very good" for a four-year-old?

Although the hemoglobin A1c is important, it is only one factor. Her A1c does sound fine (we want to prevent as many lows as possible in this age range). Also look at how she is doing overall. How is she growing, developing, changing as a 4 year old should? How are you and your family doing? I know it is hard to get past the bouncing blood sugars of Type 1 diabetes when you are evaluating how your child is doing. Remember, we don't have perfect tools yet, and try not be too hard on yourself. Enjoy your wonderful daughter.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c