Question:

From Georgia, USA:

I am a Type 1; onset age 11, now 49. Started a pump 4 years ago. After three or four days of use, the sites where I insert the needle become hard after I remove the needle. Is there anything I'm doing wrong or is this a side effect? The sites appear red for several days after removal of the needle. But no heat. And the redness seems to go away, leaving a hardened area. Can you suggest any changes I might make?

Answer:

I would contact your diabetes care team about this problem, and actually show them the areas on your skin.

In the meantime, if you have been using a pump successfully for a number of years, and this is a new problem, I would ask yourself what might be different now? Are you using different tubing or tape or skin products? Have you changed the frequency of your site or tubing changes or the type or brand of insulin?

Talk to your diabetes team about other products available which may help minimize this problem.

LM

Posted to Insulin Pumps