Question:

From Denver, Colorado:

My 3-year old daughter has recently started having accidents after being perfectly potty trained. I noticed that it always seems to be in conjunction with her consuming candy (generally only a piece or two -- but the more candy, like on Valentine's day, the more accidents she has). I don't think it is just her getting over excited and forgetting to go because she goes frequently. The only reason this concerns me is because my father has diabetes and her grandmother on her dad's side has diabetes. I have heard that diabetes can be passed down. Is this a possibility? What should I watch for and should I have her checked?

Answer:

Type 1 Diabetes can present in little children as urinary incontinence, usually as enuresis. In your daughter's case however I think that this is unlikely first of all because her maternal grandfather and paternal grandmother most probably have Type 2 diabetes and secondly because you say nothing of other commonly associated symptoms such as loss of weight or abdominal pain. Also the additional glucose load from the candy sounded a very small one.

If this does not reassure you, you might like to have her seen at a facility such as a pediatric endocrinology program at the nearest Medical School. They could do quick tests of urine and a finger stick blood samples and if necessary could also test for antibodies in a blood sample. If this test was negative you could feel confident that she was unlikely to get Type 1 or autoimmune diabetes.

DO'B