Question:

From Georgia, USA:

I was in a health-food store the other day and they carry a product called Target P14. The clerk claimed that it has been used extensively and had miraculous results with insulin-dependent diabetics. She claimed that it has the ability to rejuvenate the insulin producing cells in a non-operative pancreas. What have you folks heard or read about this product or others like it? Any input that you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

This sounds like snake oil to me, and Dr. Stephen Barrett of Quackwatch agrees. He writes:

"The description in my 1988 guidebook is:

"Target-minerals of chromium and zinc are chelated to the amino acids glutamine, leucine and lysine, all of which are required for normal pancreatic function of glucose metabolism. The target-Minerals have been synergistically combined with the unique blend of P-14 combination herbs.

"The ingredients in P-14 herbs are golden seal root, juniper berries, uva ursi, huckleberry leaves, mullein leaves, slippery elm, yarrow flowers, garlic bulb, capsicum fruit, dandelion root, marshmallow root, nettle herb, bistort root, licorice root."

Extensive use and miraculous results don't seem likely.

DM

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations