Question:

From the eastern part of the USA:

My 16 year old daughter was just recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. My insurance company only covers the insulin. I thought in this state all diabetic supplies were to be covered 100%. If you know of any one in this state I can contact to help me fight for this, please let me know. I have Blue Cross and Blue Shield. Thank you!

Answer:

Talk to your diabetes team and/or social worker about specific coverage in your state. (I assume you have already gone through the appropriate channels at your insurance plan.) Many states now have an insurance mandate which requires insurance companies based in their state to cover diabetes supplies. The coverage may not be 100%, but rather may include a deductible, co-pay, or pay a proportion of the cost (commonly you pay 20%, insurance covers 80%). Most states also usually have a contact number if you feel that your insurance company is not meeting its legal requirements.

LM

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

In situations like this, I always advise my patients to contact their insurance company again (and again if necessary), and get a written statement from them about what is or is not covered for diabetes. Also, contact the American Diabetes Association, and see if they can help.

WWQ

Posted to Social Issues: Insurance/Costs