Question:

From Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA:

I am a 35 year old Type 2 diabetic with a history of family history of Type 1 diabetes. My daughter has been very pale lately complaining of aches and pains. She also is always thirsty. I decided to test her with my blood sugar meter. Her sugar immediately after a real small meal was 158. Should we be concerned?

Answer:

I'd like to have known more precisely what you meant by 'immediately' and 'real small' and also incidentally whether you are quite sure that you yourself are not Type 1. In any case I think a blood sugar of 158 mg/dl in the circumstances is within normal limits. However with a family history of Type 1 Diabetes you might like to arrange to have an antibody test. You can call 1-800-425-8361 to get the specific information to share with your doctor.

DO'B