Question:

From America On-Line:

I have diabetes. I am a 43 year old white male, 6'0" and 170 pounds. I had been a vegetarian for 17 years. When I eat a diet high in complex carbohydrates, my blood pressure and triglycerides skyrocket and my cholesterol stays at about 210. If I maintain a diet low in carbs, and include lots of animal protein, everything drops to normal and I need no medications. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

Answer:

Triglycerides tend to be high when blood sugars are high. It could be that your high carbohydrate diet is producing higher blood sugars. It isa fact that protein and fat do not affect the blood sugar readings as much as carbohydrates. The cholesterol decreasing with the addition of fat and animal protein is unusual. I have no explanation for that. It would be important that you stay away from alcohol and sweets to help control triglycerides as well. I would suggest you talk to a dietitian about your concerns. She/he may be able to pinpoint issues that we are both missing.

JM