Question:

From Birmingham, Alabama, USA:

My son was diagnosed with diabetes when the age of 8. He is now 10 and is totally depressed. He says he is "cursed" with diabetes and he has nothing to live for. I have put him in therapy, and it seems to have no effect on him at all. I am a single mom and we live alone. I realize how hard this is on him, but this cannot be normal. It is destroying me and him. His grades are awful, and he has no friends. Please tell me anything that can help us!

Answer:

It takes special skills to deal with depression in children and I strongly advise engaging a pediatric psychologist in your situation. You have said you are angry and you have said that your child is angry: two angry people cannot reach their answers alone. I suspect that both of you need a safe place to ventilate about the unfairness of diabetes, the way it has put your lives into a tailspin, the relentlessness of the management.

Let me assure you that all of your feelings, and those of your child, are normal. You would not believe the number of my patients who said they felt "cursed." However, with some excellent help, they moved out of that feeling in time.

CMB

Posted to Behavior