Question:

From Oklahoma, USA:

I am a general pediatrician who has cared for a small number of diabetic children including one infant. I read several of the questions and responses regarding the use of diluted insulin for infants.

Could I see a "straw poll" of programs at larger children's diabetes centers that routinely use diluted insulin for young children and infants and those who do not? And why.

Answer:

I am not aware of any formal poll evaluating what percentage of pediatric endocrinologists use diluted insulin. At one of the presentations at the American Diabetes Scientific Session last June [1997] in Boston, there was an informal "show of hands" how many people were using diluted insulin in young children. To my surprise, it was not 100%. If I remember correctly, it was closer to 60- 75%, though I have no information about the exact make-up of the people in the audience who answered. It was my understanding that some pediatric endocrinologists felt it was too confusing for parents to dilute insulin. In my experience, I don't know how many young children can be managed without diluting insulin (which is I assume the reason the insulin companies provide it for free).

[Editor's comment: My daughter was diagnosed when she was 24 months old. We used Regular diluted to 1/4 strength (four units of diluted Regular equals one unit of undiluted Regular) for many years. Often we gave her half a unit of diluted regular, or one-eighth of a unit of Regular. I cannot imagine caring for an infant or very young child with diabetes without the use of diluted insulin. JSH]