From Seattle, Washington, USA:

Our eight year old daughter was diagnosed over a year ago with Type 1 diabetes. We are not having much trouble keeping her within her target range of 80-180. However, some students at her school are the same age with very different target ranges. Why is that? Should we be getting second opinions on these ranges? Are these ranges different according to gender as well as age and weight?

In my opinion, target ranges should be an individual goal that may change from child to child and in the same child as he or she grows. I think the goal for all children should be to achieve as many blood sugars as close to "normal" as possible without having a lot of low blood sugars (or any severe low blood sugars). I personally think more research needs to be done why some children are able to achieve better control with the same or even less effort at times than children who work just as hard and are just as compliant. If your child is prone to low blood sugars, you may need to loosen up on your "target" blood sugars. On the other hand, children who can maintain near normal blood sugars without severe lows (this is more common in the first 2 years during the honeymoon phase) should aim for this degree of tight control. I think everyone should aim for the "personal best."