Question:

From America On-Line:

My father has diabetes and is taking Micronase [a brand of sulfonylurea pill for Type 2 diabetes]. Until recently, he was having a hard time getting his blood sugar down. Recently he started taking aspirin with the Micronase and his blood sugar went down. Is this normal and is it okay to take aspirin with Micronase?

Answer:

I can think of one way that taking aspirin might help the blood sugar levels. If your dad was having a lot of pain, which can act as a stress to keep the blood sugar up, and which might slow him down so he can't do enough activity, then any pain-reliever would decrease the stress and allow increased activity, which in turn would cause the blood sugar levels to go down. This concept would be true for anyone with diabetes, not just people on diabetes pills.

Taking aspirin is an excellent idea for most adults, especially for people with diabetes. A low dose of aspirin can help decrease the risk of heart attack and stroke. (It doesn't take much, certainly less than is used to treat pains such as arthritis or headache.)

WWQ

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes