Question:

From Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA:

Can you tell me at what glucose level you usually begin insulin treatment? My son is being "watched" because his pediatric endocrinologist suspects he is in the early stages of clinical Type 1. We are doing random testing for the next month. Fasting blood sugars range from 115 to 140. His highest one hour result that we have gotten (because we are not testing after every meal yet) has been 187. Most of the time his 1 hour results are between 140 and 170. Someone told me that the dreaded cut-off is 200. The doctor has told us to call him when my son have 3 reading of 200 in one week. We are living in dread of the 200 reading. Will he start insulin therapy when he reaches 200? We have been holding on to the hope that these highish reading will eventually go down.

Answer:

The criteria of diagnosis of diabetes are a fasting blood sugar greater than 126 mg/dl and a random blood sugar of 200 mg/dl or greater. If either of these occur on 2 separate occasions and are verified by a lab, the diagnosis is made. You might ask your endocrinologist about doing a glucose tolerance test with insulin values if you are concerned.

SS

[Editor's comment: It would seem almost inevitable that sooner or later your son will be taking insulin shots. In the meantime, be sure you learn all you can about the therapy of diabetes. For example, is your son presently on a meal plan? Do you know the guidelines for sick day management? Have you actually learned what it feels like (you, not your son!) to do an injection (it's almost painless)? Has your son done "dummy" injections (with an empty syringe)? Depending on his age, it'd be important for him to be involved, and to verbalize his concerns about diabetes.

If you haven't already done so, discuss your worries with your son's endocrinologist, and make appointments to talk to the entire diabetes team: diabetes nurse, dietitian, and counselor. WWQ]

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Insulin