Question:

From Louisiana, USA:

My son (6 1/2) was diagnosed two months ago, Type 1. We are having difficulty keeping his blood sugars in the range of 80-180. He seems very erratic. His diet is 1700 calories. He is currently on 6 NPH and 1 1/2 NPH. We used to give R but are not advised to do so right now. I think Humalog might help curb high levels (i.e., 268, 312, 256, 369, etc., pre-lunch and 244, 324, 357, 268, pre-supper). We take test 4 times daily -- those levels are sometimes within range. Never has ketones when over 240). Food given on time in right amount, tries to get exercise and stress (well, you know!). Is Humalog (Regular) usually given in combination with NPH as the usual regimen for control? We worry about increasing complications for later.

Answer:

It sounds like you are doing a fine job following the instructions that have been given to you! If your son's pre lunch numbers are high, this usually indicates the need for a quick acting insulin to be given along with N before breakfast. Either R or lispro insulin [Humalog®] can be used. It may be the situation that the Humalog was taken away due to lows, but now needs to be back in his insulin program. You must consult your doctor before making insulin changes though!

Like others who answer questions along this line, I wonder, are you being followed by a Pediatric Diabetes Team? And how often are your son's blood glucose readings being seen by the doctor or diabetes nurse educator?

JW