From Lawndale, California, USA:

My 3 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about 6 months ago. We just started to add Humalog to his insulin regimen. We experience high glucose numbers 2 hours after breakfast and insulin injection; they range from 250 to 380 and then are usually within range at lunch. He currently takes only 4 1/2 units of NPH and 1/2 to 1 unit of Humalog and weighs approximately 32 pounds and food intake is 1330 calories and 9 1/2 carbohydrates per day. Will these high numbers affect him later in life? If so, how can we control it?

Please give my e-mail address in return response so others can share ideas.

Without knowing your child, we can't make specific recommendations. I would speak to your child's diabetes care provider about whether any change is needed. Perhaps, in conjunction with your doctor, you might try raising the Humalog a little (and you may need to then lower the NPH to prevent lows later, according to your description.) Also some people are mixing Humalog and Regular with their longer acting insulins. In addition, consider what your child is eating, the activity level, etc.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Complications