From America On-Line:

Please send me information about the new treatment for Type 1. I have two boys, ages 7 and 5, with Type 1.

I am sorry, but I am having difficulty in thinking what this 'new treatment' could be. Over the past year or two there have been steady advances in attempts to make islet cell transplantation more practical and in the mechanics of trying to make insulin administration and glucose measurement less of a burden. There have been a number of new drugs to facilitate better control mostly in Type 2 Diabetes. And there is steady progress in learning who is at risk for Type 1 Diabetes and about the ways to prevent it. Possibly what you read about was the increasing (but still infrequent) use of drugs like metformin and troglitazone in conjunction with insulin to try to get even better control in young adults with Type 1.