Question:

From Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, USA:

My six year old son was diagnosed last year with Type 1. He is currently in the exact middle of the height/weight chart for his age and is still in the honeymoon period. Recently I have noticed a very slight bump under on the underside of his chin midway between the point of the chin and his neck. At a visit to our pediatrician she said that what he has is a submandibular cyst which is common and would eventually go away but may take a significant time to do so. Last week we had him at the ENT (he needs ear tubes) and asked him to comment on the bump. He said that it could be what our pediatrician said, or something with the thyroid, or swollen lymph node but in any case that is was nothing to be overly concerned about and to just keep an eye on it. A nurse practitioner in the endocrine area of the Children's Hospital where he is treated said that swollen lymph nodes are the most common problem she experiences when doing school visitations and that the conditions do take a long time to dissipate. Could his diabetes could be contributing to this condition, and if so how to correct it?

Answer:

Internet consultations are inherently dangerous but if several doctors have examined this lump and are not concerned then they are probably right. I can think of no possible association with diabetes.