Question:

From Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA:

My 21 month old granddaughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes three weeks ago. She has not been regulated well yet following her hospitalization, and it is necessary to do multiple fingersticks (6 times/day). She is not cooperative due to her age and we need to know about the non-invasive glucose monitors. Are they available outside the US? Do they work? Are there any US sites where we can enroll in an investigation? Travel and money are not a problem. Please advise.

Answer:

Sorry, there are no noninvasive meters available anywhere that I know of. The few that have been tested so far as not reliable. I'd hate to make my child's life depend upon them.

What you're feeling is common among parents and grandparents of children with diabetes -- especially little ones. Things do get better. As your doctor if it's okay to check blood sugars before meals and bedtime snack only. This should provide enough data to make insulin doses changes. Also, let your granddaughter stick your finger! Make a game of it. Pretty soon it won't be so hard and I'll bet she's doing her own sticks. Many children this age do.

SS

[Editor's comment: You may wish to investigate alternative lancing devices and lancets. The Softclix is especially good for very young kids because you can control the penetration depth better than with other devices. It is about twice the price of ordinary lancets, however. Another good choice is the Adjustable Soft Touch and one of the thin lancets, such as the new Soft Touch, the BD Ultra Fine, or the Cleanlet Kids [no longer available, ed]. JSH]

Posted to Research: Monitoring and Blood Tests and Insulin Injections