From Ohio, USA:

My husband has had Type 1 diabetes for 20 years. We have 3 little boys, who we are concerned may also develop the disease. We just performed a blood sugar test on our oldest 5 year old last night and the reading was 122. This concerned us as it is above what we thought was normal (120). This was after dinner and a snack of a cookie and Koolaid. Should we be concerned that he is prediabetic based on the above test, and would you recommend further testing by a specialist? (Note: We have decided to call tomorrow and make and appointment for him to be screened for islet cell antibodies. And will probably do the same for our younger too when they are older.)

I think that a blood sugar of 122 mg/dl in the circumstances you report (after eating) is within normal limits for a 5 year old child. However, with a family history of Type 1 diabetes, I agree with your husband to arrange to have him screened for autoantibodies although other genetic testing (to be done once in his life) also could help in assessing your son's risk.

[Editor's comment: The DAISY study focuses on children from birth through age 7 who are at high risk for developing Type 1 diabetes because of their genetic predisposition. For more information, contact the University of Colorado School of Medicine in Denver, Colorado at (303) 270-7852. JSH]

Posted to Genetics and Heredity