From Wisconsin, USA:

Could you please tell me why gastroparesis could be much worse during pregnancy? I'm 29 and thinking about having a second child and would appreciate any information on this subject.

During pregnancy intestinal motility is significantly decreased due to various hormones being produced (particularly progesterone). If you are prone to gastroparesis, then pregnancy may increase your risk. I have had to deal with this in some of my patients. Metoclopramide (Reglan) [a prescription medication that affects the function of the gut] seems to relieve symptoms and is safe in pregnancy.

Posted to Family Planning and Complications