Question:

From Wisconsin, USA:

Could you please tell me why gastroparesis could be much worse during pregnancy? I'm 29 and thinking about having a second child and would appreciate any information on this subject.

Answer:

During pregnancy intestinal motility is significantly decreased due to various hormones being produced (particularly progesterone). If you are prone to gastroparesis, then pregnancy may increase your risk. I have had to deal with this in some of my patients. Metoclopramide (Reglan) [a prescription medication that affects the function of the gut] seems to relieve symptoms and is safe in pregnancy.

Posted to Family Planning and Complications