Question:

From Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA:

I recently read an alarming report about the dangers of aspartame use. It's use is so widespread and so many diabetics rely on it that I am concerned about the legitimacy of this report. Does the AMA have a position?

Answer:

Actually, the FDA is the one who set the Acceptable Dietary Intakes. The ADAs (American Diabetes Association and the American Dietetic Association both recommend use in moderation which I would take to be 50 mg/kg of Ideal Body Weight. I always tell people if they are having symptoms such as headache to eliminate the products and see if the symptoms go away and then add them back to see if they reappear. If people have no symptoms, just use in moderation. This product is used to replace sugar in the diet and it still belongs in the smallest part of the Food Guide Pyramid.

JM