From Chicago, Illinois, USA:

I currently have three children and am pregnant with my fourth. I had gestational diabetes with my second pregnancy, not with the first or even the third. My third child is 18 months old and has been drinking more than 108 ounces of water throughout the day and night. Her diapers are not always soaking wet as I expect them to be. There have been quite a few times she would wake up in the morning with a dry diaper despite waking up and asking for water throughout the night. I have done 4 finger sticks today before her meals and before bedtime. The highest being at bedtime at 222 and the lowest at 87 upon waking this morning. Should I have her tested for diabetes and should I worry about the baby that I am carrying?

As far as I know, there is no family history of diabetes on either side of the family. Should I be more worried than I already am? Should I insist that my pediatrician refer us to a pediatric endocrinologist? I am just so scared, this is my baby that could be sick. I am just imagining her future lifestyle and it scares me. What should I do first? To whom do I turn to for help and assistance?

If you have obtained a meter blood sugar of 222 or if there is any question your child is drinking excessively, you should call your pediatrician right away to have your child evaluated.