From Wyoming, USA:

I am a 16 year old female diabetic who has developed the eating disorder where insulin shots are omitted or reduced to lose weight. I have been doing this in cycles for almost 2 years. Results for me have been losing 50 pounds, having a Hemoglobin A1c of 18%, losing my menstrual cycle for almost a year, having a cholesterol of 250, and triglycerides of 650. I also have problems with my digestive cycle and things like hair loss and dry skin; also depression. I am willing and ready for help, but I need to know what course of action to take. I guess my question is what actions for treating this would you suggest? If I go for medical care, it is usually in Colorado since it is close. I am desperately seeking help in order to feel better and hopefully delay the risk of the complications I might see in 5 years due to this. Thank you and your help is greatly appreciated. You are the only ones I can turn to now.

You have taken the first step by acknowledging that fact that you have an eating disorder and the second step that you want to do something about it. If you were living in an area where there is a large diabetes treatment center, you may be able to participate in a diabetes clinic-based treatment program set up for eating disorders. Programs of this type are generally conducted jointly by the medical and mental health staff associated with the clinic. If this is not available to you there are trained mental health professionals. You can choose from a variety of individual psychotherapies. In conjunction with treatment there are eating disorder support groups for adolescents and adults. Remember, you are not in this alone.

Here is a list of hospitals with inpatient and outpatient programs as well as individual and family therapy centers that may be of some help to you:

1. Touff, Ph.D.,. Pegi Bershof
    (303) 331-0908
    4545 East 9th Avenue, Suite 360
    Denver, CO 80220

2. Porter Memorial Hospital
    (303) 778-5774
    Eating Disorders Program
    2525 South Downing Street
    Denver, CO 80222
    Contact Person: Jeannine Aberg-Maes
    Adolescents and Adults
    Support Groups available

3. Bethesda Hospital
    (303) 759-6320
    Eating Disorders Program
    4400 East Ilift Avenue
    Denver, CO 80222
    Inpatient and outpatient

4. Sward, Ph.D. Sharon
    (303) 745-1770
    1231 South Parker Road, Suite 102
    Denver, CO 80231
    Individual, group, family therapy
    (Also with ED Professionals of Colorado)
    (303) 649-8561

5. Cedar Springs Psychiatric Hospital
    (719) 633-4114
    Eating Disorders Program
    2135 Southgate Road
    Colorado Springs, CO 80906

Posted to Behavior