Question:

From Izmir, Turkey:

My son is twelve years old and he has Type 1 diabetes for year. His blood sugars before breakfast, lunch, and dinner are between 140 - 180 mg/dl. Are these values normal?

Answer:

I don't have quite enough data to answer your query precisely. Strictly speaking, the values for blood sugar you report are not "normal" in an healthy kid but they are acceptable, given a good value of HbA1c, in a peripubertal diabetic boy. In fact, hormonal changes during peripubertal years can cause high blood sugar especially in the morning. If the HbA1c test would come out higher than reference values perhaps I'd suggest you to ask your diabetes team for more help.