Question:

From Oklahoma, USA:

Please tell me about the drug Rezulin. My son (17) was diagnosed 7 months ago, at that time they said he was Type 1 diabetic. One of his doctors prescribed Rezulin for him, but after reading about it, I'm very concerned. Please tell me if he can have a lot of damage to his liver and what are the other problems associated with this.

Answer:

Rezulin is a pill for Type 2 diabetes. It would be inappropriate for use in a teenager with Type 1 diabetes, unless prescribed by an endocrinologist who explained why the pill is being advised, and explained the risks to you and your son before beginning it. In particular, people on Rezulin should have liver tests done every month for the first six months, and then every other month during the rest of the first year on therapy, because of the rare risk of liver damage.

If your son's physician didn't warn you and your son about this risk, and fully explain the reason for prescribing Rezulin to a teenager, you should seek a second opinion.

WWQ

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes