Question:

From Portsmouth, UK:

Can you give me any good links or literature references or sources on the benefits of exercise to people with Type 2 diabetes?

Answer:

There are so many good references out there I can not possible list them all. However, here are a few that will lead you to more in regard to the benefits of exercise for the NIDDM individual.

Links:

1. Management: Exercise
  2. Exercise and Diabetes
  3. Exercise

Books:

1. The Fitness Book For People with Diabetes: A Project of the American Daibetes Association by W. Guyton Hornsby, Jr., PhD, CDE, Editor in Chief West Virginia University, 1994. ISBN 0-945448-33-3
  2. Good Health With Diabetes Through Exercise Joslin Diabetes Center Diabetes Self-Management Series written by Joslin Exercsie Physiologist Joy Kistler, M.S.,C.D.E. and Julie Rafferty in collaboration with the Joslin Diabetes Center Education Committee, 1992.
  3. Diabetes Actively Staying Healthy: Your Game Plan for Diabetes and Exercise. by Marion Franz, M.S., R.D. & Jane Norstrom, M.A. DCI Publishers, 1990. ISBN 0-937721-57-3.
  4. Type 2 Diabetes Your Healthy Living Guide Tips, Techniques, and Practical Advice For Living Well With Diabetes David B. Kelley, MD Olymoia, Washington, American Diabetes Association, 1997. ISBN 0-945448-79-1. (This book has one chapter on exercise)

I trust that you will have some fun with these links and references. Enjoy!

PL

Posted to Exercise and Sports