Question:

From the Diabetic Educational Center in Nevada, USA:

Have you come across any research that has been done on the number of people with diabetes that also suffer with Bipolar Disorder or Depression? We have seen some information on bipolar disorder and thyroid, but none on diabetes. Since all three problems appear to have a genetic cause or predisposition and since swings in blood glucose levels can cause swings in emotions we are interested in learning if any research has been done in this area.

Answer:

So far as I know there are no specific genetic grounds for linking depression or bipolar disorders with any of the many different forms of diabetes. Just the same depression is a common partner to clinical diabetes and where it occurs an important contributor to poor control.

I have no personal expertise to answer your question on incidence; but when I looked at PubMed as you may want to do, I was rather surprised at how little information there was. Here to start you off are some of the publications that I thought might be relevant:

Karlson, B. et al. Burden of Illness, metabolic control and complications in relation to depressive symptoms in IDDM patients Diabet.Med. 14:1066,1997.
Eiber, R. et al. IDDM and psychiatric pathology; general clinical and epidemiological review Encephale (French) 23:351,1997.
Northam, EA. et al. Neuropsychological complications of IDDM in children 2 years after disease onset Diabetes Care 21:379,1998.

I hope this gives you a start.

DO'B