Question:

From St. Louis, Missouri, USA:

My mom has a problem. She is a senior citizen with diabetes (late onset). Her nurse signed her up for mail order test strips and lancets with a company called [name deleted by editor] in [a state of the USA]. They sent her the wrong test strips and we are looking for an 800 number for them.

I just wondered if anyone else has had problems with this company. Thanks.

Answer:

No, I haven't heard of any problems with this company. As you notice, I have deliberately omitted the name of this company, but will send copies of this e-mail message to other diabetes specialists, and see if there is any other information to indicate that this is anything except a random error.

In the meantime, I'd suggest that your mom buy some strips for her meter locally, and save the receipts. Presumably the nurse will be able to help find the 800 phone number for the company, and they should be willing to reimburse her for the costs of the error.

I'd suggest to her that if the first person she speaks to is not willing to be helpful, get their name, then speak to their supervisor. (Also, get the supervisor's name!) If they are still reluctant to help, write to them, send them a copy of the sales slip, and contact the Fraud and Abuse section of Medicare if that doesn't work.

WWQ