Question:

From Virginia, USA:

My daughter is 6 years old and has had a chronic vaginal rash for the last 6 months. She has had these rashes on and off for about 3 years. She is also a little over weight for her age (not much, but a bit) and has thick toenails that curl under. I have searched the net for all of these symptoms and diabetes keeps popping up. Are these symptoms of diabetes? Should she be checked? Thank you for any guidance.

Answer:

If your daughter has had a normal blood sugar test for diabetes, it might be worthwhile for her to be seen by a gynecologist with an interest in pediatrics. Persistent vaginal rash can be from a variety of different causes, diabetes being one.