From New Jersey, USA:

My 11-year-old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 4 1/2. His blood sugar levels on a day-to-day basis are like a rollercoaster. His levels do not seem to be directly affected by what he eats. However, when his endocrinologist sees his A1c results he always says that he is doing fine (his results usually average 6.1). I was told that just because his A1c is good that doesn't mean these daily up and down readings aren't going to negatively affect my son later in life. He eats what we think is a lot of carbs (cereal, pretzels, peanut butter and jelly on white bread, potato chips, crackers and apples). This is his typical breakfast, lunch and snacks. Dinner could be pasta, chicken with rice or potatoes, etc.

I was told that looking at a carb counter isn't good because children burn energy much faster than adults. Could you please give us a reasonable daily carb range for my son and how we can determine the best dosage of insulin based on those carbs? He is currently on Humalog and NPH. He gets a shot before breakfast and before dinner.

I can appreciate your frustration with fluctuating blood sugars and you are correct to think food may have something to do with this problem, however, I cannot make specific recommendations for calories or carbohydrates since I don't know his current height and weight. Calorie requirements for this age child are about 16 per centimeter of height.

We also know that about 50-60% of calories should come from carbohydrate. I believe it would be to your child's benefit to consult with a pediatric dietitian with experience working with children with diabetes. She/he will be able to help you formulate a meal plan which when followed should help stabilize the blood sugars.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Daily Care