From Florida, USA:

I am 47 years old and been Type 1 for 42 years. I have had severe hypoglycemic reactions for about 16 years where I lose consciousness. I don't have the warning symptoms or recognize when my blood glucose drops too low. Where can I be tested and diagnosed for hypoglycemic unawareness, and what tests are available for this diagnoses? I am having a difficult time proving to anyone that this condition exists!

You are correct when you affirm that quite probably you are suffering from hypoglycemic unawareness. In fact, sometimes after many years of diabetes or after many low blood sugars, people lose the early warning symptoms of hypoglycemia and get serious neurological symptoms (e.g., loss of consciousness) first. Apparently, the body's ability to recognise and give the appropriate signals of impending low blood sugar are blunted as a direct result of repeated hypoglycemic reactions or as result of diabetic autonomic adrenergic neuropathy, leaving the individual open to severe hypoglycemia. Tests for autonomic neuropathy can be performed by your diabetes team.

Often, easing up on control a little bit and eliminating low blood sugars as much as possible will bring back the early warning symptoms.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Complications