From America On-Line:

I'm newly diagnosed Type 1 on Humalog and Ultralente insulin and I'm going on an overnight Field Training Exercise with Civil Air Patrol. Is there any advice you can give me about what foods to bring (has to be nonperishable) and maintaining somewhat normal glucose levels while I'm out? There will be huge amounts of walking and I'm scared of going too low.

I hope you will be able to take your blood glucose meter with you and I would suggest you take along some food bars, such as granola bars or some of the bars that are made for sports. Gatorade is another good thing to take along. I would add about 15 grams of carbohydrate for every 30 - 45 minutes of activity. This is very general information and you may need to do something very differently, that is why it is important to check your blood sugar. Packing crackers and peanut butter is another suggestion that may help you. Be sure you have a good bedtime snack that includes a protein to keep your blood sugars up over night.

[Editor's comment: You might want to look into the NiteBite snack bar. They are non-perishable and make an excellent evening snack. JSH]

Posted to Exercise and Sports and Meal Planning, Food and Diet