Question:

From Bakersfield, California, USA:

I recently read an article in a newsletter claiming that Vitamin E would decrease the glycosylation of hemoglobin and therefore would improve the outcome of patients with diabetes. Without having more details, it seems to me like this could be very misleading. Hemoglobin A1c is only an indicator of the amount of glucose in the blood when normal dynamics are in place. If the uptake of glucose by the hemoglobin is inhibited, that doesn't mean that there is any less glucose in the blood. I would like to know if my reasoning is correct or if you can tell me anything more about the effect of vitamin E on diabetes.

Answer:

There is certainly evidence that in diabetic rats, vitamin E will reduce the glycosylation of hemoglobin. There are not many detailed studies in man; but in one by Shoff, SM. et al in the American.J.Clinical/Nutrition vol 58, page 412.1993 ( you could get to look at this in your nearest medical library) the vitamin had no effect on HbA1c levels.

In its role as an antioxidant, however, there is data to show that in high doses vitamin E may slow the rate of development of complications and in this sense would improve the long term outcome.

DO'B

Posted to Research: Other and Meal Planning, Food and Diet