Question:

From Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA:

Is there any current study being done on the use of Humalog during pregnancy? I am a juvenile diabetic that is switching to Humalog. My doctor doesn't suggest getting pregnant while using it because of lack of research. I want to get pregnant in a few years and am wondering if I'll have to switch back. I'm on an insulin pump.

Answer:

I am not aware of any on-going trial of the use of Humalog during pregnancy in the United States. Lilly does not recommend its use in pregnancy and the FDA has not approved the use of Humalog during pregnancy either. Myself and other physicians have used this type of insulin during pregnancy without apparent bad effects and to the benefit of some patients. However, there was a recent report of fetal anomalies associated with the use of Humalog during pregnancy published in the New England Journal of Medicine. This has not been confirmed by any study. So, to be safe you may decide to wait until after the first 10-12 weeks of pregnancy to use Humalog.

Posted to Insulin Analogs and Family Planning