Question:

From Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA:

I am concerned about the diet of my five-year-old granddaughter. It is almost exclusively carbohydrates (both starch, from cereals and pastas, and sugars). Please direct me to research or other sources on whether or not there is correlation between diet and the onset of diabetes.

Answer:

There is not a correlation with the development of diabetes and the types of food that people eat. Of course the immune system and other functions of the body are influenced by the quality of nutrition that one receives. There are, however, many many people who have very unbalanced eating patterns who never develop diabetes. My advice always is to provide and consume an "all things in moderation" diet.

JM

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Diagnosis and Symptoms