From Norwalk, Connecticut, USA:

I am concerned for a friend who is 14 and diabetic. She has been missing a lot of school and one time has been in the hospital for a long amount of time. I am aware that she might have other health problems too, but I want to help and not be nosy. So my question is, is diabetes enough to keep a 14 year old out of school, and how bad can it be if one forgets to take insulin (when she ended up in the hospital)?

Your friend needs your support. It is very serious when a young person with diabetes does not take their insulin! It can lead to an emergency condition called diabetic ketoacidosis, that is probably why she had to go to the hospital.

As far as staying out of school because of diabetes: that is not necessary. Your friend could have had a virus or been under the weather. She could be a bit depressed. Have you asked her?

Posted to Behavior and Hyperglycemia and DKA