From Rhode Island, USA:

My 21 year old daughter was diagnosed 10 years ago. Six months ago she had a seizure while at a friend's house and was taken by ambulance to an Emergency Room. Her primary care physician recommended that she see a neurologist. After a normal MRI and EEG he still felt that she may have epilepsy and prescribed Tegretol 200 mg twice a day and folic acid. She and I are both reluctant for her to take this medication. He feels that the seizure was not diabetes related because she had foaming from the mouth and incontinence during the seizure. She had an episode a couple of years ago when she was found unconscious by her roommate in their dorm room and was treated for low blood sugar at the E.R. We don't know if she had a seizure prior to her unconsciousness. Do you agree that the seizure she had last summer could not be diabetes related and how do you feel about Tegretol?

The neurologist has seen your daughter and the test results while I have not. It can be a difficult call between hypo seizures and non-hypo seizures and sometimes one triggers the other in susceptible individuals. I think you should either take your neurologist's advice or seek a second opinion.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Other Illnesses