Question:

From Bunbury, Western Australia:

My 9 nine year old son has Type 1 diabetes. He enjoys the feeling of independence he gets from waking on his own on the weekends and fixing himself a bowl of cereal, watching cartoons and waiting for the rest of the house to wake up. He has been giving himself his own injections and is very responsible with his blood tests. To maintain his sense of freedom I have been premixing his syringe at night (he takes NPH and Regular) and leaving it on the counter for him. One of the nurses on the team discouraged this because she says the NPH will convert the Regular to long lasting if mixed for longer then twenty minutes. My husband, also Type 1, uses 70/30 insulin. Why doesn't this happen to his? Should we discontinue this practice?

Answer:

I would follow your diabetes team's recommendations concerning pre-filling insulin syringes. Knowing that the outcome is possibly losing some of the short-acting effect of insulin (and increasing longer acting), you and your team can balance the disadvantages and advantages of occasionally pre-filling syringes.

The pre-mixed insulins such as 70/30 are a stable suspension of Regular and NPH insulins without the excess of protamine to act on the Regular.

LM