Question:

From Syracuse, New York, USA:

I am 33 years and have a daughter, age 2 1/2, who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 15 months. There is no family history of Type 1 diabetes in my family. My husband and I both have relatives who have Type 2.

I am now pregnant and wonder if I have a higher than average chance of developing gestational diabetes. I did not develop it for my first pregnancy. Is gestational diabetes is related more to Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes?

Would it be just as effective to test my blood sugar myself; testing both before and after meals as the gestational diabetes done in the doctor's office? I am not looking forward to the procedure.

Answer:

You raise an interesting question. I am not sure if you are more prone to developing gestational diabetes since your daughter has type 1 diabetes. The physiology of gestational diabetes is similar to type 2 diabetes in that you develop insulin resistance rather than an absolute lack of insulin. So your potential condition and your daughter's are probably not related. However, your family history suggests that you may be prone to developing type 2 diabetes later in life.

I would recommend that you proceed with the usual glucose screening test done during pregnancy and manage the pregnancy based on those results.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes