Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from May 1998

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My friend is a diabetic. He has been under a lot of stress lately and has quit taking his insulin shots and has started drinking. How is this affecting his body? (31 May 1998)

2. Is there any research that has examined parental smoking in relation to Type 1 diabetes in their children? (31 May 1998)

3. I am writing for my mother, age 80 who has lived with diabetes for over 25 years. She needs extra help and is willing to consider a short term (2-4 weeks) residential diabetes program. Can you help us locate one? (31 May 1998)

4. My daughter will be 20 in less than one month, and has had Type 1 diabetes for 7 years. A year and a half ago she developed a UTI that went into a serious kidney infection. She has not been the same since. (31 May 1998)

5. I am a 25 year old Type 1 diabetic. I just found out that I am pregnant. My doctor said that I might consider going on the pump. What are the risks of the insulin pump? What would the advantages be in my situation? Do you think I should consider this? (31 May 1998)

6. My son was diagnosed with Type 1 a year ago. His control is good (A1C is 6.1%). He has been frequently complaining of stomachaches lately. Are these stomachaches anything I should worry about? (31 May 1998)

7. Can sunburn and/or vaccinations cause elevated blood sugar readings? (30 May 1998)

8. My son, age 14, has had diabetes for about 2 1/2 years. Last week, after he gave himself his evening dose, the needle remained under his skin. I had to take him to the emergency room to have it removed. (28 May 1998)

9. My son is 5 years old and has Type 1 diabetes. We would like information about Humalog insulin. We battle 3 A.M. lows especially when insulin must be given at dinnertime. (28 May 1998)

10. My son has the symptoms of an ADHD child. He is uncontrollable and sometimes acts like an animal that needs to be put in a a cage. I have heard that there can be a link between ADHD like-symptoms and diabetes. (28 May 1998)

11. I am a 23 year old college student and am under a lot of stress with my Type 1 diabetes, school, work, etc., and I am feeling overwhelmed and somewhat depressed at times. Would you recommend trying an alternative medicine such as St. John's Wort as opposed to an antidepressant? (28 May 1998)

12. My daughter is 11 years old. She is beginning with menstrual cycles. Even with close monitoring, her blood sugars are often 250 in the A.M., 450-550 before dinner. How much does puberty affect control? (28 May 1998)

13. My son, 42 months old, Type 1. He gets hiccups at least 4 - 5 times after his meals. Has this any connection to his diabetes? Blood sugar is erratic. Urine sugar shows 4+ even when blood sugar is normal. (28 May 1998)

14. My 15 year old son has been having a lot of trouble getting up in the mornings and the school is calling me because he is having hypoglycemia symptoms at school. Is this something that I need to be concerned about? (28 May 1998)

15. I heard that there is a special milk that is made just for diabetics; is this true? If not, can you tell me what milk is good for diabetics to drink? (25 May 1998)

16. I am looking for daycare for my newly diagnosed 18 month old son. I am having great trouble finding any places that will accept him. (25 May 1998)

17. My five year old son drinks incredible amounts of liquids. I had him tested for diabetes but it came back negative. He has lost weight (5 pounds) and seems really pale. Could they have made a mistake? Should I get him re-tested? (25 May 1998)

18. My 10 year old daughterhas had Type 1 diabetes for 7 years. She now has antibodies in blood, which relate to thyroid, and a problem in the future. Is this common? (24 May 1998)

19. Does a sun lamp help with necrobiosis? Does a lot of regular sun help? (24 May 1998)

20. If 10% of all diabetics have iron overload, should juvenile diabetics be screened for this? (24 May 1998)

21. I'm 22, have had Type 1 Diabetes for 18 years, and am 8 weeks pregnant. No one told me any of the complications or the problems that could occur during pregnancy. Now I'm scared to death that something bad will happen. (24 May 1998)

22. I would like to know if there is any link between sugar levels and memory. I have trouble spelling, which I never had before being diagnosed a year ago. (24 May 1998)

23. I am a 17 year old female with Type 1 diabetes. I have episodes where I black out and I can't remember what has happened. I would like to know what would cause this and any possible treatments. (24 May 1998)

24. My husband has had Type 1 since he was 10; he is now 31. We have 4 children. Would any of them have a chance of getting diabetes? (24 May 1998)

25. I was wondering how many fat grams are in one fat exchange for a diabetic diet plan. (24 May 1998)

26. I have had Type 1 diabetes for 33 years and have a 9 year old son. Is there anything I could or should not do to help prevent him from ever getting this disease? (24 May 1998)

27. Recently my health insurance company took the Lilly insulin, which my daughter currently takes, off of their preferred formulary list and wants my daughter to switch to Novolin. She takes R, N and Humalog. What should I do? (24 May 1998)

28. I would like to know if there has been any progress about the benefit of brewer's yeast as an insulin stimulator. (23 May 1998)

29. I am not diabetic but my girlfriend is, thus I was wondering two things: what are the long time complications associated with diabetes and what can I do to support or help her? (23 May 1998)

30. Our son was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with Type 1 diabetes. Could you please explain the "honeymoon" period and the advantage of giving insulin whilst he produces a large amount of his own still? (23 May 1998)

31. I heard about pills from a Californian hospital for Type 1 diabetes instead of insulin. Do you have a address where I can get these pills and can get information about them? (23 May 1998)

32. I have read many responses regarding the MMR and IDDM, I still have many lingering questions. (23 May 1998)

33. My son was born with transient diabetes. He was on insulin for the first two months of his life. After that his pancreas started to produce enough insulin on its own. How common is this and what causes it to happen? He is now 3 years old and perfectly healthy. (23 May 1998)

34. My daughter takes four dance classes a week. I noticed that she gets blisters on her toes. What medication should I use on her feet with which will heal her toes the best and quickest? (23 May 1998)

35. I am 23 years old, Type 1. I was diagnosed a year and a half ago. That year, I visited the gynecologist because I had amenorrhea. I just started taking Prempak, but my blood sugars have not been normal. Could it be this new medication? (23 May 1998)

36. I am caring for a patient who was admitted with diabetic ketoacidosis. What measures should I take concerning nursing interventions and treatment regimen for this patient while he is in my care? (23 May 1998)

37. Is an insulin pump really good to have for a child? (23 May 1998)

38. I believe that my daughter may have diabetes, but I'm not familiar with the symptoms at such an early age. Is it possible to get diabetes before the age of one? (21 May 1998)

39. Can the new impotence drug Viagra also help Type 1 diabetics who are impotent as a result of diabetes? (21 May 1998)

40. Is Insulin Resistance the same as Type 2 diabetes? (21 May 1998)

41. What are some "free" snacks that I can eat during the day? (21 May 1998)

42. Just how close is a cure? (21 May 1998)

43. Do you happen to know the caloric and carbohydrate content of sunflower seeds with the shells? (21 May 1998)

44. Our 4 year old daughter regularly has blood seepage following injections. What can we do to reduce the incidence of this? (21 May 1998)

45. My daughter is 11 years old. She was diagnosed five years ago. She has been on insulin shots ever since. With almost every shot she complains about pain. Have you any suggestions? (21 May 1998)

46. I have heard reports of some new research involving the genetic alteration of fat cells to produce insulin. I am interested in learning as much as possible about this, and was wondering if you have any information. (21 May 1998)

47. My husband is Type 2 diabetic. His job means that he is living in a hotel in France from Monday to Friday. The food is rich and he has difficulty in keeping to a proper diet. What can you suggest? (21 May 1998)

48. My 11 year old son has Type 1 diabetes. What does he need to know when he gets a flu or cold? (18 May 1998)

49. My 13-year-old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 2 years ago. Since then she gets colds and hiccups a lot more frequently. Are these common complaints? (18 May 1998)

50. Could you also show what the levels of insulin in the body should be at various times of the day? (18 May 1998)

51. I am a 25 year old female who have had diabetes for 13 years now. I am in good control (last A1C was 5.3). My question is about birth control. I am anxious about going on oral contraceptive pills. (18 May 1998)

52. I have a seven year old second grade student who is a fructose diabetic. I can find no information on this type of disease. Would you please direct me to where I can find information on this type of diabetes? (18 May 1998)

53. I recently saw on the news an item about a new kind of sugar substitute made out of sugar, called "Splenda". What can you tell me about this? Will it be okay for Type 1 diabetics to use? (18 May 1998)

54. Our six year old son was diagnosed 5 years ago. When he eats pasta for dinner, he always has a high glucose reading the next morning. Any suggestions? (18 May 1998)

55. Are there any particular complications associated with chicken pox and diabetes? (18 May 1998)

56. My 17 year old granddaughter has a wound on her leg from a fall 9 years ago. It keeps spreading and festering. She is in a major Children's Hospital and they say there is nothing they can do. Do you have any suggestions? (18 May 1998)

57. I am a 30 year old female diagnosed with Type 1 3.5 years ago. Recently, my physician had a urinalysis done to check for albumin. He said there was "double the normal amount". I am quite alarmed by this. (18 May 1998)

58. Can you tell me what blood sugar reading is too high? (16 May 1998)

59. I believe that there are some people in New Zealand who have had encapsulated beta cells transplants. Also, weren't there people in China and Europe who have had encapsulated beta cell transplants? (16 May 1998)

60. I .just read one of your answers where you say in Mitochondrial Diabetes there is a link between diabetes and deafness; I never thought there was a link. My eldest daughter was born with no hearing in her right ear. My youngest daughter was diagnosed with diabetes last year. (16 May 1998)

61. I made a test in my urine of 24 hour microalbumin. I got 1.54. I want to know if this means I'm developing nephropathy. (15 May 1998)

62. What is the current thinking on oral medication for teens? (15 May 1998)

63. My 4 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 10 months ago. What is the "grace" or "honeymoon" period in the initial stages of diabetes, and what effect will this have on our son? (15 May 1998)

64. When is the best time to exercise to reduce post-meal glucose levels? (15 May 1998)

65. My son was diagnosed with hypoglycemia at age 6. He began having symptoms after gastric surgery at age 4. I am concerned that he is developing diabetes. (15 May 1998)

66. My daughter is 28 and was diagnosed Type 1 at age 12. She was diagnosed with gastroparesis about 3 years ago. She currently has basically no control due to the unpredictable digestion rate. Suggestions? (14 May 1998)

67. A week ago, my daughter would not wake up. This lasted about 5 hours past her normal time to sleep. She was put in the hospital and it was discovered she had a blood sugar of 57. They said she wasn't diabetic. (14 May 1998)

68. I have a eight year old son diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia. He recently started having high blood sugar readings. Could he be a candidate for the study trials I have read about on this web page? (12 May 1998)

69. My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed two years ago. She is on 8 Humalog/16NPH at 7 A.M., 7H at 4:15 P.M., and 3H/17N at 8:30 P.M. Is this dosage reasonable? (12 May 1998)

70. When I am around my friends and they ask me, "Do you want a sweet?", what should I say if I do not want them to know I am diabetic? (12 May 1998)

71. My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed eight months ago. Around holidays and special activities she becomes very upset. (12 May 1998)

72. I have two daughters, ages 20 and 21, diagnosed with Type 1 three weeks ago. Our family doctor wants them to see endocrinologist. How important is seeing endocrinologist? (12 May 1998)

73. I am a fifty-two year old non-insulin dependent diabetic. Lately I have been experiencing some circulation problems. Could you recommend any exercises designed specifically to improve circulation? (12 May 1998)

74. My father has been having blackouts where he passes out for hours. Is there any kind of device he can wear that he could activate to medical personal or family members if he feels it getting low? (12 May 1998)

75. My son is 12 years old and has been insulin dependent since he was 6. We just recently were told he wasn't growing and needs to be on thyroid pills. Is this common? (12 May 1998)

76. My 8 year old son has had Type 1 diabetes for 15 months. His doctor has put him on Precose. How do you feel about this? (10 May 1998)

77. I have a patient with Type 2 diabetes who is asking about cholestin food supplement for helping to reduce cholesterol levels. Is it safe for diabetics and will it help reduce cholesterol? (10 May 1998)

78. My son is eight years old and has Type 1 diabetes. We are having a hard time getting the school administration to allow us access to food labels of the foods they offer for lunch. (10 May 1998)

79. I would kindly ask you to inform me about the new methods of the medical treatment of diabetes by transplantation of beta cells and by transplantation of genes. (10 May 1998)

80. Our daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 2. During injecting her 18 units of insulin in the morning we have consistently drawn blood. Could you please give us any advice as to what we can do to minimise the problem of drawing blood? (10 May 1998)

81. What is buffered insulin? (10 May 1998)

82. I have a five year old son who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last year. What is the chance of him developing other autoimmune diseases later in life? (10 May 1998)

83. Has any diabetes organization put out of report on health insurance companies, such as which are the best, the worst, who offers what? (10 May 1998)

84. My girlfriend is 27 years old and is 29 weeks along in her pregnancy. She was recently diagnosed as having gestational diabetes. We are concerned with the risk of hypoglycemia when the baby is born. (10 May 1998)

85. I am a recently diagnosed Tpee 2, 49 year-old male. My only control difficulty is with fasting level glucose. Are there measures that can be taken to improve fasting level glucose readings? (10 May 1998)

86. I just met an 11 year old girl who has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. She is very discouraged. I want to help. What are the most important things I should tell her? (8 May 1998)

87. Can exercise cause high blood sugar if there is little to no insulin in the body? (8 May 1998)

88. What is the future of pancreatic islet cell transplants? (8 May 1998)

89. I have been diagnosed as being insulin resistant. I am currently taking in excess of 1000 units per day. From your experience do you have any suggestions on anything that may have helped any of your patients that I could try? (8 May 1998)

90. Could high blood sugar levels over a long period of time produce bipolar effects? (8 May 1998)

91. I am a 12 year old 6th grader and have had Type 1 diabetes for about 8 months. I am high at night and sometimes feel anxious. Is anxiety part of hyperglycemia? (6 May 1998)

92. Our son is trying lower carbs and higher protein to control the post meal blood sugar rises. We wonder if we need to worry about ketones with the higher protein input. Are these ketones any different than ketones from diabetic ketoacidosis? (6 May 1998)

93. How many Equal [aspartame] packets could a boy weighing 85-95 pounds consume a day? (6 May 1998)

94. My daughter is 25 and has had Type 1 diabetes for 5 years. For the last couple of years she has been bothered by hives. Is there a link between diabetes and hives? (6 May 1998)

95. What is the long term effect of too much protein in one's diet? (6 May 1998)

96. My 10-year-old daughter, who has had Type 1 diabetes for 2.5 years, is showing traces of protein in her urine. Is there any thing that we can do to reduce this? (4 May 1998)

97. A friend, age 56, female, was diagnosed today with Type 2 diabetes. Her doctor did not give her complete direction of diet, medication, or exercise. (4 May 1998)

98. If there are 123,000 Type 1 diabetics under 20 in the U.S., how many would you expect to be in Spokane, Washington? (4 May 1998)

99. My 9 year old daughter was diagnosed almost two years ago. Basically our problem is her not eating. Every single meal/snack time is a major struggle. (4 May 1998)

100. I was diagnosed with Type 1 2 years ago. I also have Raynaud's Disease. I am interested in knowing if having both diabetes and Raynaud's suggests that I have a significantly increased risk of complications. (4 May 1998)

101. I am a therapist counseling a couple, one of which is 44, was diagnosed as Type 1 as a baby and is "very brittle". He uses his disease as an excuse to lash out at his family and sometimes becomes somewhat violent. I am curious if his extreme fluctuations are a valid excuse for his behavior? (4 May 1998)

102. Recently, we noticed that peanuts show carbohydrates on their packages. We have been using peanuts as free snacks assuming they were carbohydrate-free. Can you offer any information? (4 May 1998)

103. I've read about Olestra and found some interesting information. I'm Brazilian and there're none of these fat substitutes here. I've made other searches and found out a product called Z-Trim. (4 May 1998)

104. My son was diagnosed yesterday. Can he eat Healthy Choice ice cream or Doritos? (4 May 1998)

105. My son is 17 and was diagnosed with diabetes three months ago. One month ago he started having heart palpitations that he finds alarming. Three doctors believe the cause is anxiety attacks. Is there any association between heart stimulation and insulin? (4 May 1998)

106. What is fructosamine, and where is it made? (2 May 1998)

107. What is mitochondrial diabetes? (2 May 1998)

108. My son was diagnosed with neonatal diabetes when he has 2 months. I want to know everything you can tell me about this kind of diabetes. (2 May 1998)

109. Have you researched the differences of children self mixing and using premixed insulins? (2 May 1998)

110. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. My numbers for the 3-hour glucose tolerance test were 84, 141, 163 and 153. I thought two of the readings had to be higher than the diagnostic criteria in order to be considered gestational diabetic. (2 May 1998)

111. My 14 year old son was diagnosed last week. He has taken an active interest in diet and medications. I'm waiting for him to start to 'grieve' for his former carefree life. Any advice with this would be most welcome. (2 May 1998)

112. What are the new glucose monitors and which is most accurate? (2 May 1998)

113. I have a 40 month old son who has Type 1 diabetes. He is so afraid to have a shot. Please inform me if you know alternative way to reduce injection pain. (1 May 1998)

114. What are the long-term ramifications for my baby's health because of gestational diabetes? (1 May 1998)

115. Have you heard of a bracelet that is worn at night to monitor your blood sugar? (1 May 1998)

116. My daughter, who is 19, has had Type 1 diabetes since she was diagnosed at the age of 13. She takes 2 injections a day of 70/30 insulin. She had the flu earlier this year and has not totally recovered. (1 May 1998)

117. How does royal jelly, a nutritional supplement, affect diabetics? (1 May 1998)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts