From Spokane, Washington, USA:

How does royal jelly, a nutritional supplement, affect diabetics? I would be interested in the effect on insulin levels, energy levels, and any precautions in using this supplement.

Royal Jelly is a popular nutritional supplement especially in the Far East. In rodents, this oral secretion of the worker honey bee has been shown has been shown to have anti-infectious properties due to the component royalisin. At least one study has also shown that it has no hypoglycemic properties. There are no references in the National Library of Medicine that link Royal Jelly with diabetes. The possible value of Royal Jelly in the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome has been reviewed and deemed non-proven.

There are however a number of well documented reports that Royal Jelly can produce severe asthma and even death in man as well as hemorrhagic eosinophilic colitis and contact dermatitis.

In view of the potential risks and in the absence of any demonstrative benefits, I would not recommend this product for any reason.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Alternative Therapies and Explanations