Question:

From Houston, Texas, USA:

I am age 36, pregnant with my second child, 1-hour fasting glucose result was 199. My height is 5'5", pre-pregnancy weight 170. My first child was born at 36.5 weeks and am now 30 weeks into this pregnancy. What are the long-term ramifications for my baby's health because of this gestational diabetes and what can I do to minimize the impact on him/her? Also, I have gained only about 12 pounds during this pregnancy, although I gained 43 during the first one. What can I do to stabilize my health during the remainder of this pregnancy?

Answer:

In your situation where you have diabetes during pregnancy (gestational diabetes), the risk to your child is probably increased but not as much as it would be if you were diabetic all the time. Many other genetic and environmental factors influence the development of diabetes. Therefore, it is difficult to predict at this point what your child's risk of diabetes might be. Maintaining good glucose control during your pregnancy will be helpful.

Your weight gain has been on the light side. However, the fact that you have gained some weight is good. You still have several weeks to go in your pregnancy and you will continue to gain weight, but do not over do it. If you are really concerned, then I would suggest that you speak with a dietitian.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes